Ok, so on to our Saturday adventure. We started with a quick stop at the new International Convention Centre that has already hosted a number of large events, and later this year will be hosting COP17 (the latest round of UN climate talks). I have a sneaky suspicion our trip to and from work will be a little more hectic during that time. Anyways, I think the best part of the ICC is actually the rhino out front. Johann and Deiter also liked her.
From there, we wandered past the memorial recognizing the impact HIV and Aids are having on South Africa. The memorial was built when Durban hosted the 2000 International Aids Conference. Next to the park is a mall called the Workshop. It's a pretty amazing old building. Ellie and I also realised that we are going to come back to Canada with many more sandals than when we left. I just can't get over the selection of sandals. It's amazing. We wandered through one of the many many many markets of Durban (haven't braved the Victoria Street Market, but we will soon). And then we found ourselves in front of City Hall.
City Hall is truly an attestation to Durban's colonial history. It is a beautiful old building and reminds me of a number of provincial legislatures back home. Inside, however, is something no legislature back home can compete with. We convinced a security guard to let us have a little look around, and he took us into what is now Durban's largest concert hall. When I walked in, I could just imagine the grand balls that used to take place here. There is a beautiful pipe organ on the stage, a grand dance floor and theatre seating at the back. Apparently the philharmonic plays here on a regular basis taking advantage of the great acoustics. The ballroom floor is then covered in seating, and I imagine it must be quite the event. I will have to sort out a cultured night out sometime soon. Anyways, beautiful (my pictures from inside are very mediocre, thanks to poor lighting and no tripod, so just imagine). Oh, I also found out that day that Johann loves birds of paradise (Amanda - you definitely found me the right travel buddy).
On our tour, we also stopped in at the Old Court House (a must for law-geeks like myself), wandered past the Playhouse, the Old Post Office and to Tourist Junction (the old railway station, now serving as the main visitor's centre). We picked up more brochures and I am pretty sure we have until the end of February booked with things we want to see/do.
Saturday night we met up with the "Durban Welcoming Committee" (aka Kathleen and Sean). Kathleen is a Vancouverite by birth who has since been transplanted to South Africa. Sean is a native South African. They are wonderful and take in all kinds of Canadian interns who make their ways through Durban, which I must say is very much appreciated. We had a wonderful Italian dinner on Florida Road, the cuisine hotspot in Durban. It is a very busy street and the architecture makes you feel like you've been swept away to New Orleans. A wonderful night out learning more about living in Durban and the best things to see and do (the list keeps growing).
Sunday was a rugby morning for me, cheering on Canada with their solid effort against France. Although I knew their chances were slim, I was very impressed by the effort and really agree with so many commentators, the minnows of rugby are getting so much better, they might need a new name.
In the afternoon, Ellie and I headed down the beach to Moses Mabhida Stadium. The stadium was built for Soccer World Cup last summer, and, as far as I can tell, sits pretty empty most of the time. It's a beautiful stadium, but showing extreme wisdom, the government failed to negotiate an occupancy agreement with the Natal Sharks (rugby), who play at an old stadium right next door.
In building the MMStadium, they failed to build enough corporate boxes to accommodate the Sharks current corporate contracts. Oops. So, it has hosted some soccer matches, a few international rugby fixtures and a few cricket matches, but doesn't have a team based out of it. Too bad. Anyways, we went on a tour just to see it. Apparently, however, the grass is "special" therefore, when you are on the tour, you can't step on it. Ellie broke the rules.
It was a good weekend of getting to know Durban, and I definitely have got my bearings a bit more. And now this weekend it will be off to explore north of the city.
In the afternoon, Ellie and I headed down the beach to Moses Mabhida Stadium. The stadium was built for Soccer World Cup last summer, and, as far as I can tell, sits pretty empty most of the time. It's a beautiful stadium, but showing extreme wisdom, the government failed to negotiate an occupancy agreement with the Natal Sharks (rugby), who play at an old stadium right next door.
In building the MMStadium, they failed to build enough corporate boxes to accommodate the Sharks current corporate contracts. Oops. So, it has hosted some soccer matches, a few international rugby fixtures and a few cricket matches, but doesn't have a team based out of it. Too bad. Anyways, we went on a tour just to see it. Apparently, however, the grass is "special" therefore, when you are on the tour, you can't step on it. Ellie broke the rules.
No comments:
Post a Comment