Monday, June 30, 2008

Weird Work

So I've realised that I haven't written very much about work. I've been approaching it as so similar to work at home, that I haven't been noting those strange occurrences that I've noticed since being here. My time at the Asia Foundation is over half over and a meeting today really made me think about it. It was a meeting with the US Ambassador to Bangladesh and two men from USAID. The meeting was concerning the Leaders of Influence program, so there were 8 Imams there in their little hats (kufi's). I was the only woman in the room and just had a moment sitting across from these 8 men. It was just kind of surreal, when at home would that happen? What was fantastic was the energy that these Imams have for influencing their communities in a positive way - to facilitate dialogue with NGOs, to dispel misconceptions, to emphasize the importance of governance, rights and women's empowerment. It was one of those moment that you can see hope. Bangladesh is in this fantastic position of being majority muslim, but living in harmony with other religious groups and allowing their values to grow and progress. (I am being all young and idealistic)
Ok, my other little blurb that I got from a meeting with the Election Working Group yesterday (it was a very frustrating meeting) - this is not a culture of getting things done, it is a culture of let's have a cup of cha. This is totally true as every meeting seems to go in circles and is so freaking repetitive. I also have to laugh at people's manners over here (answering mobiles whenever, taking pictures with you mobile during a meeting, interrupting, burping). 
Anyways, really the thing is there is so much possibility in this country in so many things, someone just needs to facilitate the communication to get the ball rolling (although, that probably won't be me).

No comments: